Monday, February 27, 2006

English and the Olympics

I had the opportunity to watch a lot of the Winter Olympics this year. They said that this year, more countries won medals than in any other Winter Olympics. For covered events, NBC seems to try and interview the gold medalists, so we got to see a lot more athletes from different countries interviewed.

What I find embarassing as an American is that every athlete from East and West Europe that was interviewed spoke pretty decent English, and the NBC reporter could speak at normal speed. I don't know about you, but I find that absolutely amazing. I've lived in Japan for a year, and took 3 years of Japanese in college, but even still, I don't think my Japanese would be near good enough for a TV interview. How do these Europeans do it?

And as an Asian, what I find embarassing is that none of the Asian athletes that won golds were interviewed. I suspect it's because their English, well, stinks. Sometimes video bio's are done on the athletes, and the European athletes will all speak in English (granted, they have thick accents, but they are definitely understandable). The Asian athletes will always be dubbed over (at least in the Summer Games. I didn't see any Asian athlete bios this year.). Why I feel embarassed as a fellow Asian is that I know that in Asia, they've been taught English since they were in grade school. If that's the case, with so many extra years of English education, why are the Asians so bad at it, especially considering how the Europeans can probably give interviews in several different languages? It just makes me feel kind of ashamed as both an American and an Asian.

Case and point is women's figure skating. Who did they do bio's on? The Russian Slutskaya and the American Cohen are a given. They both speak English. But they didn't do one on Arakawa, the Japanese skater who was in definite gold medal contention, being only 1 point behind 1st place going into the long program. And when she eventually went on to win the gold medal in what is probably *the* cardinal event of the Winter Olympics, there was no NBC interview.

Another favorite event is short track speed skating, in which American hopes were all pinned on Apollo Anton Ohno. Instead, the South Korean Ahn Hyun-Soo beat Ohno twice, winning 2 gold medals. Who does NBC interview? Of course, Ohno. Not a single interview with the Turino 2-time gold medalist.

Now don't get me wrong. I actually consider the English-impaired Asians the normal people. Learning a new language is hard. Instead, my question is how is it that the Europeans not only are so much better, but make it look so easy? I thought Asians were supposed to be the smart ones.

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, February 28, 2006 9:20:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not being a linguist, one thing I can think of is exposure - Europe has greater proximity to more native speakers of English than most Asians do.

The second reason I can think of may involve differences in language that lead to differences in how sounds are produced. Many of the main European languages (e.g. the Romance languages - Spanish, Italian, French, Portuguese, and uh Romanian?) have roots in Latin; the bulk of English words are related in some form to Latin as well.

Contrast that to the linguistic heritage of Asian languages, which come from markedly different families (I suspect).

Such differences manifest themselves in the types of sounds a particular speaker can make easily or with difficulty (witness the Japanese difficulty forming a proper 'f', or a Korean distinguishing between 'f' and 'p' and 'v' and 'b' or any Asian's difficulty w/ 'th-'.). It is very noticeable here in VN where final consonant syllables are often dropped or clipped.

 
At Tuesday, February 28, 2006 9:21:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow that was pretty bad grammar in my opening sentence ...

 
At Thursday, March 02, 2006 10:32:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with what pekkle01 said is.

Persaonlly, there is no shamed whether a winner, asian is interviewed or not. It does not matter whether can speak English or not.

But there are several possibilities. One is the winner does not like U.S because of policits even though he can speak English.

Second, U.S does not like to stress how great chinese it is because American always think they are good and excellent. They do not like to raise China's power up. Both country against very seriously in the goble.

Third, without English, it dose not mean oneself is supposed to die or look down on himself.

On the contrary, what the meaning of "value" at the winner's heart from a "prize", which is more important than "interviewed."

Finally, the winner does not show how shamed he is without English. Perhaps in his mind, "Why you can not speak Mandarin?" once he saw a person with the same color and stature the same as his.

On the other hand, some people who live in English environment educated, but can not speak English. I might think wether they could feel ashamed of themselves in daily life.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home