Friday, March 31, 2006

3rd Year Anniversary

Wow, 3 years already! Time really has flown! To celebrate, we had dinner at Gochi, a japanese fusion tapas place. Being a tapas place, the menu selection is really quite overwhelming. I mean E and I were staring at the menu, and we had absolutely no idea where or even how to begin. Fortunately, the waitress was kind enough to take some time and make recommendations for dishes in every category.

The food was delicious, and for the most part, quite unique. I highly recommend going there. If you do go there, here's what we ate to at least give you some idea of what the food's like, as well as some items you can order that you can't go wrong with.

Yuzu Ceviche
Very popular dish, I noticed several tables around us had also ordered this.

It's essentially fish and diced veggies in a yuzu vinaigrette with homemade potato chips. Full of flavor, and yet refreshingly light on the palate.

Salmon Menchi
A dish from their daily menu, and also seemed to be popular while we were there. Essentially, salmon croquettes flash fried (haha, say that 10 times fast) and served with tartar sauce. Between E and I, these 3 didn't last long once they hit the table. :P

Ebi Chili
According to the waitress, shrimp seemed to make up a fair amount of her recommended dishes so we decided to try one. These are stir fried prawns in a chili sauce. Quite good, but reminded me of certain similar Chinese dishes, but with fish. I guess that's why they call this place Japanese fusion. Oh, and despite the name, they're actually not very spicy at all (though they do have a little bit of a kick).

Kurobuta Chashu Miso fusion pizza
According to the waitress, their pizzas are their most popular items. At first, I found that kind of odd, until she explained that the crust was made of rice, and they use miso instead of tomato sauce.

Sounded intriguing, so we ordered this pizza. Good stuff! You could definitely taste the shredded pork and the miso. The cheese flavor and greasiness is kind of strong though, and we found ourselves going back to the Yuzu Ceviche to de-grease our palates.

Asari Sakamushi
Steamed clams in a sake broth. There was really nothing special about this dish. While there certainly was no seafood aftertaste, I actually found it kind of bland, so I wouldn't recommend getting it. Then again, E and I were already pretty full by the time it arrived, so it's not like we had much of an appetite left.

For dessert, Esther initially really wanted to get the Green Tea Creme Brulee, but we were both pretty full afterwards so we passed. Maybe if we hadn't ordered that last dish. Ah well. I'm sure drinking hot sake during our meal didn't help either (but it was good stuff).

When all is said and done however, I think I still prefer Tanto, with its authentic Japanese flavors, over Gochi's fusion tastes.

3 Comments:

At Friday, March 31, 2006 1:13:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer Gochi. =P =)

 
At Friday, March 31, 2006 8:20:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

byron and i went to gochi for my birthday, and i had the same assessment...while i like a few of their dishes better (croquette, pizza, etc), in terms of a more japanese taste i still like tanto better. gochi definitely has bigger portions, though.

 
At Saturday, April 01, 2006 8:23:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

well if you want authentic japanese, obviously go to tanto. gochi is called fusion for a reason.

i like them both for different reasons. gochi has more unique dishes, tanto has the authenticity of japanese cuisine.

but either way, i don't think you can go wrong with either restaurant. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home